Map of the Strait of Magellan
The geographic details for the map of the Straits of Magellan came from Bernardus Joannis Monasteriensis[?] who had participated in the first Dutch expedition to sail through the Straits in 1599-1600. The map was printed from a copper plate engraved by Lambert Cornelisz in 1606. Made prior to the confirmation of a route around Tierra del Fuego, the Strait was, at that time, the only passage between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Controlled by the Dutch, exorbitant fees were charged for the passage.
The map is oriented with South at the top as indicated by an elaborate compass rose. On the left (East) is the “Mar del Nort,” with one ship exiting the Eastern end of the Strait and a Dutch fleet on the right (west) sailing in the Mar del Zur. At the top is “Tierre Del Fuogo.” Except for mountains lining the shore and six named bays along the Strait, Tierra del Fuego is truly a terra incognita. The amorphous island actually fades away as it reaches the border of the map. “America Pars” defines the map’s lower land mass. The Strait